New Patio maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am in the process of thinking about putting in a 30m2 patio at the rear of my house. I would like it as low maintenance as possible. e.g power wash it every year, and sweep once a week.

I have been reading that you can lay the patio on sharp sand or first pour a concrete slab. Is one method better than the other in terms of maintenance?

I am thinking of using 2cm outdoor porcelain tiles.

The garden has clay soils so I am slightly concerned that the concreate slab would need to have adequate drainage.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you want to use tiles then you need a concrete slab poured and then use tile cement to lay them just like you would indoor tiles.

Its not a job for a diyer in my opinion as getting the slab perfectly level with all of your falls correct is no mean feat.

Anyone who suggests laying them on sharp sand or mortar should not be trusted.

It is also possible a 100mm screed would be suitable instead of the concrete as its easier to lay level and doesn't shrink but you would still want to use tile cement to lay them. If it was mine i'd use concrete.

The other option is normal flags like riven sandstone etc, these could be laid on 75-100mm of hardcore and 50mm of mortar.

Sponsored Links
If you want to use tiles then you need a concrete slab poured and then use tile cement to lay them just like you would indoor tiles.

Its not a job for a diyer in my opinion as getting the slab perfectly level with all of your falls correct is no mean feat.

Anyone who suggests laying them on sharp sand or mortar should not be trusted.

It is also possible a 100mm screed would be suitable instead of the concrete as its easier to lay level and doesn't shrink but you would still want to use tile cement to lay them. If it was mine i'd use concrete.

Thanks for the very useful reply i think i will go with the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back