New plaster crazed

D

dave8234

Hi All,

I've just had two rooms plastered and some of the plaster in one of the rooms as started to craze. I've attached some images of three different patches. It's only crazed on one of the walls and the majority is limited to the bottom 18 inches of the wall. The plasterer prepped the walls using PVA, we've used the same guy to plaster many other rooms with the same substrate and never had this happen before.

Will the plaster eventually fall off or am I okay to paint over it? If it needs to be redone does the whole wall need to be taken back to the browning or can just the affected plaster be repaired?

View media item 48872 View media item 48873 View media item 48873

Sponsored Links
What are you telling us for? You've used him before, you know him well - SHOW HIM. :rolleyes:

The guy is away working on another job down south for a month. He reckons it will be okay to paint over but he hasn't actually seen it since doing the work.

I was just after a second opinion as I would like to get the room painted as soon as possible.

looks like another case of bad prep to me did he just turn up on the day and start prepping with pva? or did he seal it the day b4? was it on paint or plaster?
what was the make of the pva? theres noway you can be expected to paint over that, i would call him back tell him to take the whole layer of skim off and re do it

Sponsored Links
It was on plaster. I removed the old skim and then he coats the exposed browning in PVA. I usually only lets the PVA dry for a few hours.

Is it necessary to remove the skim from the whole wall or just the bits that have crazed?

The photos I've posted are the worst bits, the top 50% of the wall hash't crazed although there are some other small patches that have the craze pattern but not visible cracks. Will these also need to be removed?

Old browning is like a sponge. He really should have known better.

it all depends how much you want to let your plasterer get away with and how well that crazed skim has adhered to the wall, , ive seen crazed plaster that is perfectly adhered to the wall and have been reskimmed successfully ,but do you really want to let him get away with that? its always going to be a weaker wall because of the crazing

Thanks for the reply. So for future reference what is the procedure for skimming over old browning? How long does the PVA need to dry for. I sure he has never let the PVA dry for more than a few hours on anything else in the house.

its best to wet it down so its not thirsty any more but its not always viable because of the amount of water being used to do it, get a good quality pva and give it a couple of good soakings to seal it it may not take that long to dry out if its the wall is thirsty then give it a tacky coat just b4 skimming you dident tell me what make pva he used, what was it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back