Cause of new plastering cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am in the process of renovating a property and just had the kitchen plastered.
I took off the carlite browning that had not fallen off back to concrete blocks, spent days wire brushing before blowing it clean with compressed air.
The plasterer came a week ago and put a coat of sand and cement base coat and yesterday applied a skim of Thistle multi.
By early evening hundreds of very fine crazed cracks started to appear and by this morning the four walls were covered in them, they are like a leopards coat pattern.
Is this something I should be concerned about?
Thanks
litl

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he didn't kill the suction on the wall before skimming...

Sponsored Links
Did he put a scratch coat on first then a float coat on a day or two later then skim it a few days later?

The walls were very dry before each application , I asked him if they needed damping and offered him the use of a sprayer which he declined. I didnt argue as I only do odd patching and he had over 20 years in the trade.

Did he put a scratch coat on first then a float coat on a day or two later then skim it a few days later?
No, just a scratch coat then a skim 7days later. He wanted to skim the next day but the first coat was still well soft after 2 days.

There you are ! There's your answer, he should of listened to you, Think of how many bad plastering jobs he must have done in 20 years!!

Can you not get back in touch with him, and either give him the chance to re-do the job properly, ( haha), or ask for your money back. Shocking to think that people pay good money to useless clowns like that. Plasterer??? I don't think so. That con merchant would make a "real plasterer" cry.

Can you not get back in touch with him, and either give him the chance to re-do the job properly, ( haha), or ask for your money back. Shocking to think that people pay good money to useless clowns like that. Plasterer??? I don't think so. That con merchant would make a "real plasterer" cry.
Well I contacted him and fair play, he is coming on Sunday morning to have a look.
litl

.[/QUOTE]
Well I contacted him and fair play, he is coming on Sunday morning to have a look.
litl[/QUOTE]

Will you let us know how you get on litl.

Just an update as promised .
After the plaster had dried out most of the cracks had faded away but on closer inspection the finish was horrendous with dips bumps and along the worktop line the wall tapered into the corner by 10-15 mm in the last 600mm
He arrived dead on time as has always done so can't fault him for that and only wish his work was as good.
After inspecting the walls he agreed is was not good and blamed the fact that lime was in the mix and had burned the plaster which had gone off too quick to work properly but would sand them and add plaster skim along worktop line.
He spent 2.5 hours doing this then said it was done and left.
I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to spend a few days filling, sanding and wishing I had done the job myself saving 520 quid.

Just think of how many customers he's had in 20 Years!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back