SKIMMED COAT OF PLASTER CRACKING STRAIGHT AWAY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
about 2 months ago I sand and cement rendered my bathroom walls upstairs using 4:1 mix and also water proofer. When I come to skimming it with multi-finish plaster 10 mins after the first coat goes on it starts to crack. I previously PVA'ed it before I mixed the plaster then again directly before skimming. By the time I have gone round with the second coat and then polished it up it looks okay with no cracks but I must be doing something wrong. Has anybody got any ideas why it does this? :(

Sponsored Links
you can skim render whilst still green with no probs but as it as left for so long prior to skimming its dry and really porous, you should have given it a couple of coats of pva the night before to let it soak in and then again on skimming day, until the wall stays nice and tacky, then skim.

Thats what i do anyway

Hope this helps

KP

Hi
thanks for that I didn't realise it would get this porous.
I will try the pva night before and again on same day thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Hi

Your be better off giving the walls a good soak(spray bottle-brush)
do this as many times as you need to your know when its ready as the wall will be damp to touch 10 mins after soaking it

Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back