skim coat HAIRLINE CRACKS?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone hope you can help,
ive just finished a job for a relative and then a week later went back to check the work and noticed hairline cracks on two out of the four walls. it is an upstairs bedroom and he has had an extension built on it approx 7 years ago (maybe the cause) the original walls were poor anyway, they looked like the original plaster and had hairline cracks all over before i started so rather than attempt to scrim them all i thought a tight bonding coat over the full room instead, followed by two coats of multi. i did pva night before bonding and again before applying. then same procedure with the multi as i didnt skim straight away. as an amateur plasterer with little experience did i do anything wrong??? and what are all the probable causes of a skim coat cracking just for my own piece of mind and for future reference, sorry for the long story :D :D

Sponsored Links
more than likely that the original plaster has blown from the brickwork/blockwork causing all the hairline cracks which is why subsequently you have cracks in your own plasterwork.

did you check how badly blown it was?

only way to remedy this really is to either batten over it and tack it before skimming or knock the lot off and float and set.

IMO that is

more than likely that the original plaster has blown from the brickwork/blockwork causing all the hairline cracks which is why subsequently you have cracks in your own plasterwork.

did you check how badly blown it was?

only way to remedy this really is to either batten over it and tack it before skimming or knock the lot off and float and set.

IMO that is
cheers trowelmonkey, i did check the walls before hand, tapped and heard loads of hollow spots all over the walls. did advise him to remove and dryline or use a backing coat. but he opted for just a bonding coat over the existing and then 2 coats of multi. it was a free job anyway just for me to get practice as im only an amateur, at the moment :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back