Dealing with recurring hairline cracks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean gouge out all of the plaster down to the brick along the full length of the crack? Then fill with car body filler, sand back flush and paint over with the emulsion?
gouge back to whatever backing plaster there is . ie cement , lime . hoover all the dust out and fill , sand and paint.
the filler shrinks as it dries so fill flush first , sand lightly and repeat the process. make sure the radaiator is off as it dries within minutes.

Sponsored Links
gouge back to whatever backing plaster there is . ie cement , lime . hoover all the dust out and fill , sand and paint.
the filler shrinks as it dries so fill flush first , sand lightly and repeat the process. make sure the radaiator is off as it dries within minutes.

OK thanks for the advice. Does the car filler take a coat of emulsion without any primer? Does it look different to the painted plaster in certain lighting or from certain angles?

I use a lot of two pack filler. I have never noticed it shrink... and whilst not wanting to be a pedant, it doesn't dry, it cures.

Strangely, the Halfords product description says that it has a self mixing nozzle?

OK thanks for the advice. Does the car filler take a coat of emulsion without any primer? Does it look different to the painted plaster in certain lighting or from certain angles?
i’ve not primered it buy you could . should look uniform if you paint the whole wall

When faced with minor reoccurring cracks. I rake out, brush in neat PVA. Let that dry. Then gun in Toupret Fibacryl. I flush fill with that, wait for it to shrink back and then fill with Toupret Redlite. Once that has dried, I sand it back and paint (two coats of emulsion).

It works well in over 90% of cracks that I deal with. If there is ongoing movement it will fail but may only present a very fine hairline crack, one which might be hidden by lining paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back