Hairline crack in new skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i've had a wall re-skimmed by a different plasterer to fix a poor job done by previous plasterers. This new plasterer scraped of all the cracked and blown skim and started again. This time its a better job apart from one crack. However this hairline crack is straight over an old patch of putty that conceals plastic trunking housing an electrical cable. Could this cause a crack? The rest of his work is sound so can't be his prep/mix etc, unlike last time cracks appeared everywhere and sounded hollow when tapped. Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
Could well be the problem, if it's only hairline crack.
Either polyfiller or some jointing compound (such as easyfill) but you only need a small amount. So best option would be polyfiller or something simular.

If the capping is too close to the surface it will crack, pvc capping is bloody pointless also and can cause this kind of problem, if scrim was applied over the top of the capping it would at least give the skim a bit more strength.

Sponsored Links
If the capping is too close to the surface it will crack, pvc capping is bloody pointless also and can cause this kind of problem,
if scrim was applied over the top of the capping it would at least give the skim a bit more strength.

I'd go that way too John. Another thing i'd do in this situation, is to put short lengths of scrim "across" the chase too,, from top to bottom,,, it gives a really strong job. Good prep before skimming/plastering is always essential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back