cracks in lath and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having remove all the paper from the ceiling, I am left with some small-ish cracks - some are hairline, some a few mm.

I've read various things online about lath & plaster ceilings, think soemwhere said best not to skim over it with new plaster as the different plaster types would lead to further cracking.

What's the best way to proceed? Scrape out the cracks and fill them in with some plaster filler then paint?

Sponsored Links
If the laths are anywhere loose then perhaps screw them up to the ceiling joists.

If you only have hairline cracks then its safe enough to skim over after a couple of coats of PVA without either removing the laths or boarding over.

What room or space is above the ceiling joists?

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but I had hairline cracks in my lathe and plaster ceiling on my landing and all I did was fill them with squeezy pollyfilla then painted the ceiling. It worked a treat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back