Large plaster repair & re-skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to repair a pretty large hole in the old plaster (see picture). I have removed all loose plaster down to the masonry and need some advice on what type of plaster to use to fill the hole. The hole is about 1m by 40cm by 1.5cm deep. I am new to plastering.
Should I apply a browning plaster first, followed by a finishing plaster? If so, which product/brand do you recommend?
Or can I use a ready-mixed filler - my fear is this will require quite a lot of it, and be expensive.
Should I apply PVA on the brickwork before applying the plaster?

On a second topic, this repair is part of a larger project - i.e. reskimming the whole room (walls and ceiling) on the existing old plaster (see second picture attached). The plaster was wallpapered and I stripped the wallpaper to reveal the old skim coat.
I have a few questions:
- Is PVA required on old plaster that was wallpapered?
- Which skimming coat product should I use? Thistle Multi-finish? Ready-mixed repair & skim product? Joint compound? Any advice on product & brand welcome

As the walls and ceilings will be painted, and not wallpapered, the finish needs to be good and avoid any future cracks. How to avoid the risk of future cracks in the skim coat? I know this can't necessarily be prevented. I could also considering applying a lining wallpaper that can be painted, but much more time consuming...

Thanks

Seb
dsc_0107.jpg
dsc_0108.jpg

Sponsored Links
On a second topic, this repair is part of a larger project - i.e. reskimming the whole room (walls and ceiling) on the existing old plaster (see second picture attached). The plaster was wallpapered and I stripped the wallpaper to reveal the old skim coat.
I have a few questions:
- Is PVA required on old plaster that was wallpapered?
- Which skimming coat product should I use? Thistle Multi-finish? Ready-mixed repair & skim product? Joint compound? Any advice on product & brand welcome

As the walls and ceilings will be painted, and not wallpapered, the finish needs to be good and avoid any future cracks.

If your end game is to have a perfect skimmed room after this repair then I'd suggest you need a pro. If you've not skimmed before, doing a whole room will end badly.
The repair patch you ask about in the first part is straight forward, with a couple of things to be aware of, but my concern would be if you personally did that repair and then got a pro to skim, they're reliant on your patching. Would be easier for a guarantee and prob not much extra if they did that for you too.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a believer in having a go DIY, but you build up - not re skimming a full room and ceiling at first go.

Good advice from newbee and I think that the plaster around that patch you took off will probably be boxy and wouldnt be surprised if you could put a blade under it and take it off!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back