Skim or Patch plaster repair

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We a number of rooms including our spare room brilliantly plastered by some great plasterers, but then had a leak and had to cut through the pitched ceiling to fix it. As they are a distance away, getting them back for a relatively small repair is really not practical, so I may be mad, but am going to attempt it myself.
I'm fairly practical and building etc is fine, but never really succeeded in plastering so looking for a bit of advice.

The pictures below show the patch ready for repair. I will Scrim the joints then PVA the pitched ceiling and leave to dry. After that I'm not sure if I should plaster the patch level with the rest of the ceiling (max 2mm but mostly less than 1mm) and leave to dry before skimming the whole area, or just go straight to the skim.

I was intending to put on just one skim coat as the ceiling has already been skimmed.

So how mad am I to do this as the first plastering and should I approach it differently

Sponsored Links
IMG_3701.JPG
IMG_3702.JPG
Oops forgot the photos

You have gone a bit over board (Excuse the pun) with your screws. You should of cut around the edge of the existing plasterboard about an inch about 3 mill deep and when you put the new piece in it should sit level with the edge of the board that you have cut around. Then put some sbr or pva on the cut edges of the old plaster board and then scrim tape all around the board and a light skim over the tape and it should still be a few mill below the surface of existing ceiling and the new patch. Then you can skim the patch and it should be level with the existing board. Dont think this is an easy fix as you have already put too many screws in!! And it also looks level with existing board, so I would get some one in to over skim the whole area as I don't think you will be able to do an "invisible" patch.. If you want to go ahead and skim the whole area then you would have to put 2 coats on it and do the whole area, Have you got the skill level to do that? https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/untitled.21934/full I have put a picture up to show you how I had to prepare a ceiling to blend in with the new ceiling I was going to match up with the old one..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
IMG_3707.JPG
IMG_3708.JPG
Roy c
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I know there are too many screws - my engineering background showing through.

Obviously it was too late to cut back and patch as you suggested, so I went ahead and did a full skim. Glad I took your advice on the two coasts and whilst it's far from perfect it's flat and smooth enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back