Wall repair and wall-ceiling join

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm currently sorting out our dining room and have a question.

The ceiling was plasterboarded/skimmed and has what I think is a hessian-based scrim between the ceiling skim and the wall skim.

Where I am having to take the walls back to block for repair (due to some significant cracks), I am having to cut along ceiling line in places and it is requiring cutting out the wall part of the scrim.
Given the ceilings are fine and I really don't want to be re-skimming them, is there a way to compensate when I re-plaster the wall?

My concern is that by just re-skimming up to the ceiling (after patching with Bonding/Hardwall), I've lost the strength in the join and don't really want cracks appearing later.
Are there any tips you guys have for this sort of repair?

TIA

Sponsored Links
This is what i would do in that sitation Newbie:::
After cutting out the affected areas of wall/s along the ceiling line,, including any old hessian scrim,,,,, i'd give the areas a clean down etc as usual, prep, wet/pva the wall/edges of the original plaster, then put on a coat of bonding, enough to cover the bricks for now. I'd then cut a length of fibre tape and bed half into the bonding on the patch, the other self adhesive width of the tape,, stuck onto the ceiling,,, for now.
Plaster out/finish the patch flush to original surface.

The other half width of tape stuck on the ceiling??
I normally cover that over with a coat of ready mix joint finish, or easifill, feathered away to nothing, I'm only talking about coating a couple of inches of easifill at most, out onto the painted ceiling. Let it dry, sand it down lightly, then paint. To be honest, if you've only taken out "small pieces" of hessian scrim "here and there" along the length of the wall, you shouldn't get any cracking. It would be different if you took out the whole length of scrim along the whole wall.
I would still put pieces of fibre tape in those areas you've removed though.

thanks Roughcaster.
That makes sense and will give it a try.
The areas are small, and your reply has reassured :D

many thanks

If you're talking about taking only 3 or 4 inches width of plaster back to brick, then i wouldn't bother about scrim taping the missing small areas along the ceiling line,, Just plaster neatly up to it.

Sponsored Links
If you're talking about taking only 3 or 4 inches width of plaster back to brick, then i wouldn't bother about scrim taping the missing small areas along the ceiling line,,

Unfortunately I seem to have most large cracks at the top of the walls (esp above corners of window lintels).

Most have been localised (only needed about 1' along ceiling line).

Unfortunately, needed a bigger one on one wall (about 5').
This one was the wall against the chimney stack and seems to have suffered - a lot fell off when I started to cut out the cracks. :confused:
I suspect this one will definitely need some attention like you recommend.

If you're talking about taking only 3 or 4 inches width of plaster back to brick, then i wouldn't bother about scrim taping the missing small areas along the ceiling line,,

Unfortunately I seem to have most large cracks at the top of the walls (esp above corners of window lintels).

Most have been localised (only needed about 1' along ceiling line).

Unfortunately, needed a bigger one on one wall (about 5').
This one was the wall against the chimney stack and seems to have suffered - a lot fell off when I started to cut out the cracks. :confused:
I suspect this one will definitely need some attention like you recommend.

Yep,, i'd put tape along the area of ceiling line for that.

Yep,, i'd put tape along the area of ceiling line for that.

Well, didn't make it today to the wall with the 5' patch. Prob get to that tomorrow. Will do as advised. Used scrim on some of the smaller patches today also. No probs.

For the 5' patch, the wall has an alarm PIR in the corner which I need to sort first.

Struggled with plastering today. The heat didn't help long workability of the multi at all! Funny that ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back