New plasterboard to finished ceiling: how to avoid cracks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few years back I took a 1 week course in plastering and have since skimmed my bathroom and chimney breast with decent results (the bathroom ceiling wasn't the best if I'm honest!!).

In the bathroom I put scrim where the walls met the ceiling which as I understand it, helps avoid cracks appearing. So far so good - 3 years later and no cracks.

Moving on to the here and now; this weekend I constructed a stud wall in my bedroom which will eventually become an en-suite. I have clad the wall with plasterboard on the bedroom side and will at some point need to give it a skim coat.

However this time round I am skimming up to a lovely, flat, painted ceiling and adjacent wall. So I cant put scrim up where the plasterboard meets the ceiling as I wont be skimming over it.

My question is: What should I be doing to avoid cracks appearing where the new plasterboard meets the ceiling?

Thanks,

ETFairfax

Sponsored Links
However this time round I am skimming up to a lovely, flat, painted ceiling and adjacent wall. So I cant put scrim up where the plasterboard meets the ceiling as I wont be skimming over it.

My question is: What should I be doing to avoid cracks appearing where the new plasterboard meets the ceiling?

In a circumstance like this, I've applied scrim at the join prior to skimming the wall. Then when the wall is complete, hide the half-scrim on the painted ceiling with a thin layer of easi-fill feathered out.
You can probably do the same with a bit of multi, but I like the fact easi-fill is easier to sand if it's not quite flat.
I think it is important to have some scrim place or a crack is likely.

spot on newbie easiest way i tend to do it with plaster but have done it before with easfill, and OP if its easier for you use easyfill

Sponsored Links
I think eventually I will go with TheHandyAndy suggestion of putting up some coving! But for now I'm going to give this "EasyFill" stuff a go.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back