levelling off plaster that's already set.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.
My mother's had a builder in that's repaired some plaster on an outside wall, under a window.
The problem is that he didn't remove the wallpaper near the area he re-plastered. I've been stripping the rest of the wallpaper off to find he's skimmed over the wallpaper near the edge of the hole he was filling in.
the paper also goes under where he's re-skimmed

Is it ok to leave some the old wallpaper underneath where he skimmed or should i scrape back to where the new plaster meets the old?

the surface of the new plaster is about 1mm proud of the old plaster.
could i sandpaper the new plaster's surface so it blends into the edge where the new plaster meets it.?

Sponsored Links
Should not have plastered over paper, that should have been removed.
I personally would remove the plastered paper up to the ex-hole.
The as far as sanding the plaster down not a big fan, how big is the hole that has been filled and what method of decoration are you using for the walls.
How big is the overall area?
As you have few options.
* Re-skim the lot
* Fill out with applying easyfill (or similar) and sanding till even
* Sand and fill out with applying easyfill (or similar)and sanding till even

Hello.. apologiersfor the delay in replying...
The area plastered is a rectangular area about 9 feet long, and 4 feet high under a large window.

As far as i understand they fitted plasterboard to the brick/breeze blocks.
then skimmed over.

I've worked back to the edge of the join. i've got about 4 feet of edge that protrudes over about 1mm.
I've also lifted the edge of some webbing type material and scraped the wallpaper off that was under that.
I also see what u mean now about sandpapering it down.
I'm now ready to fill it in and was planning to stick down the strands of the webbing type material (that havent fell off) with a little filler so the ends don't stick up, let it dry then use filler as you suggested. well that's the plan anyway lol

just planning how to make a neat job of this plastering up bit.
you plasteres must have the eyes of a hawk and rock steady hands.

Sponsored Links
agreed with Steve, apply it about a foot out from the edge of the lip and feather it away, it can be easily sanded after with 180 grit paper and you will never know, give it a good few mist coats after a few days before top coat.

PHEW.. Got it done! .. though not as neat a finish as a professional.
I used easyfill finishing plaster.

Is there a minimum thickness? just asking as i'm thinking of going over it again but super thin layer just to take out the uneveness..

It looked ok when wet, but can see small edges where i was "patching up"
Wow it's tricky getting a flat surface..lol

]t i think i read your post when u first posted, but then i read his reply which was 5 days after so just must have forgot about your post and just replied to his post without scrolling back on the thread
Sorry Steve, I had not mean't to refer to you personally. I should have put John. Just being a bit cheeky, sorry pal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back