New plaster cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we recently had our bedroom skimmed and part of the plaster cracked as the plaster underneath has blown.
The plasterer came out and removed this section before replastering however due to the hot weather we have had I think it has dried out too quick and some hairline cracks have formed.
Is it ok to paint over this or do I need to fill the cracks? Should this be done before or after the mist coat?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't paint over plaster that has cracks in, especially new plaster you've just had done and paid for. I'd get the plasterer back to look at it again. We all do plastering on hot days, but done properly, it should not be a problem.
Having said that, if that's the way you prefer to go, i'd "mist coat it first", then use ready mix joint finish, ((some prefer easifill), thinly trowelled over the cracked area. Let it dry, then gently sand it down with a 150 grit sandpaper. Make sure they are just hairline cracks, and not signs that the plaster finish is blown. Once it's sanded down and you're happy, you can then emulsion over as normal.

Thanks for the reply.
The cracks are really fine that you can't feel them when you run your finger over it. I will try the mist coat and see how it looks.

call the plasterer back its not the weather that caused the cracks its some thing he done or dident do, "IE" bad prep or lack of prep, no way should you be filling in cracks after paying for a new skim

Sponsored Links
Very true call himback as his prep work maybe wasn't up to scratch

He probably won't be pleased if you are being petty. I can't see him hacking it all out again. It's your wall that's not up to scratch, so if you only paid for a skim then that's all you will get. Did he charge extra for sorting the blown undercoat plaster? If not then you can't really expect him to fix it can you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back