new plasterboard up - what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this diy - but have successfully replaced 2 old walls with plasterboard and want to know next step - should I next do the joints with scrim tape and on top of that goes what? 1 coat of bonding? then 1 finishing coat? Does the bare plasterboard need any pva or anything like that?

Sponsored Links
scrim the joints, then just skim with two coats of multifinish, no pva, o bonding.

Why do people think they can skim without spending years practising?

Get a guy in or you'll make a hash of it.

joe is right, but its your house so you do what you want. BUT it may cost you more to put right than if you got a plasterer to do it right in the first place.

If you want to have a go, go for it.

Good luck.

If you want some quick tips, you have about an hour and half from the moment you have mixed it till its ROCK hard, so in the hour and half you have to put the first coat on, flatten it, then second coat it and trowel straight away, then trowel every 15 minutes till its solid.( this is what i reccomend for a beginner ) Also in that time you have to clean up the edges, clean your tools and buckets.

Sponsored Links
You could tape and fill it if you cannot afford to have it skimmed or are apprehensive about skimming it, saying that you shouldnt be completely put off of skimming your first wall, every single person who does plastering has once upon a time skimmed their first wall. Of course there is youtube to watch clips of tips and methods although there are certain aspects that are very difficult to describe accurately and wont show on a video such as the roll of the trowel as you sweep the wall when applying.

Thanks guys for your replies.
Huddsspread, thanks for the good tips about speed of it going ROCK hard etc - a bit scary but none the less more encouraging than joe-90's reply.
Fair point joe-90 about "years of practice" - but diy wouldn't be diy if everybody had years of practice - we'd all be professionals...
So I'm not deterred by joe-90's reply and will be giving it a go.
The room I'm working on is an attic bedroom with walls that aren't high and only 2 walls that have been replasterboarded - this is a very old house where all the walls are "interesting" - not sure if a perfect finish would look right anyway.
So I'll be checking out youtube, re-reading your tips, huddsspread, and getting a good night's sleep before the event, lol.

Plasterboard is one of the easist material to plaster over, you will have plenty of time to get the first coat on, wash all the kit etc.
Quite a few people try flattening the first coat to early, if you catch it right you can get a pretty good finish on the first coat.
Mix the 2nd batch slightly wetter and apply thinner than 1st coat.
Wash all the kit, wait until it starts to take up then trowel up.

Good luck - you'll need it.

thats helpful on a DIY forum :rolleyes:

I plastered a ceiling a few weeks ago having never picked up a trowel before. It took longer than a pro would take and it needed a little easifil in a few places around the edges but overall it came out very well so it is possible. This is a DIY forum, a place where us DIY'er come to get advice from each other and the pro's

couldn't agree more with your comment Adam - advice, tips and a little encouragement is what we look for when undertaking diy.
well done with your ceiling - working above you would be a lot more tricky than doing walls!![/u][/b]

I plastered a ceiling a few weeks ago having never picked up a trowel before. It took longer than a pro would take and it needed a little easifil in a few places around the edges but overall it came out very well so it is possible. This is a DIY forum, a place where us DIY'er come to get advice from each other and the pro's

how were your arms after?

how were your arms after?
:LOL: My arms were fine, I was a panel beater until recently. My shoulders on the other hand were ached and it took a while in the shower to get the plaster out of my hair...

hehe mine still ache and i do it everyday. 10 out of 10 for attempting a ceiling first......good thing easi fill isn't it!

Hang around and listen to the tales of woe. A four year apprenticeship learned in a day? Did you learn panel beating in a day too?

Hang around and listen to the tales of woe. A four year apprenticeship learned in a day? Did you learn panel beating in a day too?

Didn't say I was an expert in a day. Didn't say it won't go wrong. What I did say was its worth having a go. Worse case it looks **** so OP has to scrap it off and get a pro in, £10 in materials and a few hours wasted.

As I said before this is a DIY forum

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back