new plasterboard up - what next?

How long have you been in the forum? Are you a plasterer? No? Didn't think so. Now go away and learn something easy like heart surgery - that should take you to at least until lunchtime.

Sponsored Links
Joe is right, you cant learn a trade in a day, however, he is argumentative :mrgreen: . There is a shed load more involved with plastering that throwing a bit of multi finish onto plasterboard.

Skimming on new plasterboard, as has been sad, is one of the easiest things you can do. The first thing I ever skimmed is a sloping ceiling, I found plastering on new board easy. I found straightening up walls with bonding more difficult and I found skimming over multi backgrounds more difficult.

I would imagine that the only things to really worry about when plastering something for the first time is messing around with it too much and not being able to work cos your srm hurts if your not in moderate shape.

What our panel beater friend has failed to recognise is that he already has nearly all the pre-requisite skills to plaster. Car body filler or plaster - makes no odds - he's already got the skills he needs. An office worker who has no such skills isn't likely to get the same results that he is. THAT is the point I'm making.

How long have you been in the forum? Are you a plasterer? No? Didn't think so. Now go away and learn something easy like heart surgery - that should take you to at least until lunchtime.
:LOL:
Again I'll say THIS IS A DIY FORUM THIS IS A DIY FORUMTHIS IS A DIY FORUM. I am not a professional and have never claimed to be. Just to be clear DIY stand for do it yourself, This implies non professional. I have plastered one ceiling and so I haven't offered any advice on how to plaster, I'll leave that to those who are experts. Why do I need to be a plasterer to encourage someone to have a go? Why do you bother being on a DIY forum if you're against anyone who isn't a pro having a go?

Sponsored Links
What our panel beater friend has failed to recognise is that he already has nearly all the pre-requisite skills to plaster. Car body filler or plaster - makes no odds - he's already got the skills he needs. An office worker who has no such skills isn't likely to get the same results that he is. THAT is the point I'm making.

I was a panel beater. Never used filler at work once, didn't work in a paint shop. Purely metal work. Anyway using car body filler is nothing like plastering. I now work in an office

But you used your hands, you had the ability to work out what you were doing. When you can do one trade you can do most trades - geddit yet?

Or are you being purposely obtuse to try and make a point?
Ask the girl next to you to plaster a ceiling and see how far she gets. :rolleyes:

Anyway using car body filler is nothing like plastering.

How do you know if you've never used it? Worra plonka. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Didn't use it at work. I used to go home and do all sorts of things I didn't do at work.

Any way I agree with your point about skilled hands. What I don't agree with is a blanket statement that plastering should never be attempted by a DIY'er. Your comments to the OP were patronising, unhelpful and didn't add any value to the forum

I've been in the forum long enough to have seen the results. The OP isn't (from what I've heard) equipped with the skills to do the job.
I learned to plaster 25 years ago after watching a guy for 20 minutes and asking a few questions - but I still made some cock-ups before I became competent.

aint seen an argument on here for weeks, thanks for making me smirk... :D :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back