New pump - How do I sound proof the airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first post to DIYnot.com

Got to say, I wish I had found this site along time ago!

Anyway, my question is as follows:

Due to our loft conversion it has been necessary to install a twin impeller negative pump (3 bar) so that we can supply adequate pressure to the loft bathroom and shower.

The new pump is to be located in the airing cupboard which is in our current 1st floor bedroom. We have been told that the pump will be noisy.

What is the best way to sound proof the new pump and/or sound proof the airing cupboard?

What is the best material for soundproofing an airing cupboard?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Finally, will we be able to use the new pump at a later date to improve the pressure to the shower that we currently have in our ensuite bathroom?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
maca_lad said:
The new pump is to be located in the airing cupboard which is in our current 1st floor bedroom. We have been told that the pump will be noisy.
Most of the noise arises from the floor tramissing the vibrations.

What is the best way to sound proof the new pump and/or sound proof the airing cupboard?
A layer of heavy duty foam between the floor and the pump.

What is the best material for soundproofing an airing cupboard?
Towels. ;)

Finally, will we be able to use the new pump at a later date to improve the pressure to the shower that we currently have in our ensuite bathroom?
Yes.

Many thanks![/quote]

You could try a block of foam on the floor, a concrete paving slab or building block on top of the foam, and stand the pump on top of that.

Remember not to insulate the pump too tightly heatwise - they get hot.
Any 3 bar pump is likely to be noticed. The better Salamander ones are pretty quiet, but the superior (imho) Stuart Turner ones are definitely audible.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 types of sound transmitters, solids and air. Preventing sound transmitting through the air is fairly easy. Either lining the cupboard with a skin of polystyrene (2") sheeting, RW5 fibre or the like.
The problem you have though is basically when you prevent sound transmitting through the air, you also prevent air circulation. If your boiler is located in the airing cupboard, you have a problem restricting the noise because preventing air circulation would be dangerous and may even cause the boiler to shut down.

Solid transmission is more difficult though. The guys idea of a slab on polystyrene is probably the best. This will prevent direct contact with any solid. However, the pipes themselves will transmit the noise from the pump.

Not an easy one mate, I suggest buying the quietest pump you can find and a loud Hi-Fi system !

Regards,
Den.

Is it too late to sell the pump and instead buy an unvented cylinder? Bear in mind that the noise from the pump will be much more apparent in the early hours when people are in bed. When someone has a shower at 7am and wakes up other people in the house from the pump noise you might be wishing you had explored other solutions..... been there, heard that! :LOL:

DAJ said:
There are 2 types of sound transmitters, solids and air.
And liquid. Three types of sound transmitters. Solids, air and liquid. And a fanatical devotion to the Pipe... :evil:

dense felt better than foam.

You can put the pump on a thick ply platform, stand that on felt on another piece of ply.

Fasten it down with something non-resonant; or thick rubber patches under any screw heads, and screw shaft not touching the sides of the holes.

If the pump comes with short flexy pipes that will also cut down transmission of motor noise through the pipework.

p.s. go to the DIY shed and ask the lady on the door "can I get felt here?"

JohnD said:
p.s. go to the DIY shed and ask the lady on the door "can I get felt here?"
:D

Or go to the 1st floor in Homebase and ask "can I get felt up here?".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back