Where to site an impeller pump for shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm putting a new thermostatic mixer shower into our bathroom, and I'm probably going to need to put an impeller pump in. The shower will go on the wall that butts up to the airing cupboard.

The usual place for an impeller pump is either on the floor in the airing cupboard or under the bath somewhere. However, there's defintely no room on the floor in the airing cupboard, and putting it in under the bath will require all sorts of complicated pipe re-routing (and I'd also have to drill through into the airing cupboard with the cylinder in situ, with all the risk and fiddly access problems that go with it).

Given that the current shower supply pipes are in the airing cupbaord already, can I simply put the pump on a sturdy shelf somewhere above the cylinder? I'd put a lip on the shelf so the pump can't vibrate off, and build some sort of cage around it so it doesn't get smothered with towels and overheat. This solution would also make for far simpler power routing to the pump.

Thanks for any advice.
Jim

Sponsored Links
Ideally as youv'e said the pump should be situated at the base of the cylinder, I think you can do it your way but you will need to do it via an essex flange and anti gravity loop from the hot cylinder to prevent air getting into the pump, but the best thing to do is choose which pump you want and download a copy of the installation instructions which will give you various installation options.

or alternatively a negative head pump if you want it on the shelf above the cylinder. but still need an essex flange on the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. Had a quick nose around on t'internet, fitting the flange etc. doesn't look too tricky, but time-consuming and fiddly due to the limited access within my airing cupboard.

Think I'll try it without the impeller first - fingers crossed there'll be enough pressure.

One more question - if I do need an impeller, what brand would you recommend? I was looking at a Salamander CT50+, but looking around these forums, there seems to be an opinion that they're not too reliable or long-lasting?

Cheers
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back