New rad - vented every 2 days .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I installed a white towel ladder radiator just over 2 weeks ago. I drained my open vented system, adjusted the flow and return pipes to meet up with the new rad's valves, re-filled using sentinel and everything is fine, no leaks, rad's get hot, etc.

The only 2 little things I have questions about are: the towel rad's highest rib every 2-3 days gets cold, but the rest is hot and OK. and so i vent the rad from air and after a few seconds water comes out. also the panel radiator in the bedroom and on the wall directly behind it, twice in the past few weeks has been cold at the top.

I vent this radiator and it hisses for about 10-20 seconds before air finally comes out.

My reason is why? as all other rads are fine.

This morning as I was home and the heating was on, i also thought there may be a minor air blockage in the pipe near the 2 affected rads, possibly after draining and re-filling rhe system. So I closed all the other rads down and left these 2 open. Then the radiator in the bedroom was vented again, straight after i had just vented it, and straight away more air came out.

Will this have sorted it? I don't know if this is normal? I have only had the heating on for about 4 hours a day for the past few weeks - so will this settle down after a while?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Also, I don't know if it makes a difference: but the vent and plug at the top of the ladder rad, are held in by black washers built into them/attached to them, and I noticed today that when venting ia the needle, the vent screw moved a bit, so it wasn't fully tightened in. Maybe some air was being drawn through this way? I have tightened further now, but I do not want to overtighten. The washer is really compressed now and well maybe this was the fault, possibly? ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back