new shower/bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to change my low voltage bathroom fan that has a timer, for a low voltage fan with pull cord. My bathroom is ventillated very well so I see no need for the timer function(To be honest its a pain).

The current fan is powered on from the lighting circuit (comes on with light being switched on), and is wired using 3 core+earth because of the timer function. The wiring then goes from the light to the DP switch/ transformer/ fan.

Now I wish to install this new fan with the pull cord but want it powered to work independently from the bathroom light.

Is it simply just the case of introducing a 20A junction box into the lighting circuit, and using 1mm T+E to the DP switch for power(then transformer/ fan), and sending another T+E to the wall switch for on/off?

Obviously I will remove the current 3C+E cable running to the DP switch which is powering the present fan.

Am I on the right road?

Sponsored Links
I sort of understand, so its yes, but you cant have a wall switch in a bathroom, pullcord yes, plate switch no.

breezer said:
I sort of understand, so its yes, but you cant have a wall switch in a bathroom, pullcord yes, plate switch no.

Thanks for the reply.

The DP wall switch is indeed installed in the bathroom, and was installed when the house was build 10 years ago by the builders, so I guess this was acceptable at the time.

The DP switch and Transformer are installed about 1.5m away from the bath and at a height of about 2.2 meters. I take it regulations have changed since then?

Where the DP switch is installed has been the reason for the fans replacement. Because we had a timer fan, the only way of controlling the fan on/off independently from the lights was to climb onto the toilet to switch off. Hardly an easy solution.

Though after your answer, I think I would have been better to replace the wall DP switch with a pull cord DP. It would have saved me spending £50 on a new LV pull cord fan! (Though I still would have the problem of wanting the fan to work independently instead of from the light switch)

you are supposed to have a tripple pole fan isolator not just double pole, but anyway, go for a pullcord, much easier

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you are supposed to have a tripple pole fan isolator not just double pole

My mistake, of course it must be a triple pole switch already installed, as it is a timer fan that is currently there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back