New Shower Waste Not Draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a new shower fitted by a builder - but it doesn't drain well

Cooke and Lewis low profile tray - the water drains quickly to the corner with the waste. Relatively shallow drain gradient on drain across bathroom
//media.diynot.com/169000_168081_58692_31770377_thumb.jpg
If I run the shower with neither the "basket" nor "plug" is situ it drains well

Then putting in the basket it still drains freely
//media.diynot.com/169000_168081_58693_39103833_thumb.jpg
But on putting in the "plug" with O ring it stops draining. Removing the plug gives a gurgle as an air comes back and the shower drains freely
//media.diynot.com/169000_168081_58694_91049615_thumb.jpg
Any help appreciated - builder initially thought it was the silver cover plate over the top but I don't think it is.

Richard

Sponsored Links
From the shower this morning!

As water hits the waste there was air trying to bubble up past the O-ring.

Removing the "Plug" made the water drain rapidly after a gurgle of air - and then reinserting in Plug didn't stop the rapid drainage.

And there was gugrling again at the end of the shower.

Work consensus is that its a rubbish / poorly designed waste (Zero Expertise but one colleague has a similar issue)

Thanks for any help

Richard

I have the same issue with mine (not sure what manufacturer), will be watching with interest.

It sounds like you have a problem with air trapped in the drain. Is the shower running into a vented soil stack or is there an air admittance valve fitted?

Sponsored Links
The stack is vented. Bath/ sink and toilet also drain to the stack and all draining well.

I'm assuming that the waste pipe has a constant fall from the shower to the stack, no sagging runs or upwards turns, is this correct?

Could just be that the shower is too powerful for the waste. The cap will always slow the water from draining. Personally, I would just remove it when showering and then replace it afterwards.

Had this with a similar looking waste.

Try putting the cage in and the o ring bit but don't press it in, just rest it in place.

When the shower is running it will 'bobble' up and let it drain away then drop to seal enough to stop the smells coming through.

Worth a try.

Many thanks for your replies

I called the builder back

He had used a flexi pipe for the waste and it had a kink in it. The shower had drained fine before the final part of the waste was installed

But with the waste installed the shower was trying to empty through effectively two U bends

He delved deep, straightened out the kink and braced it

The shower now drains perfectly

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back