New staircase with uneven fillets any way to fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had a new pine staircse fitted intending to paint and carpet it, but I'm not happy with it. The fillets in the base rail between each baluster protrude 1 or 2mm above the rail whereas I would have expected them to be flush with the rail. They came with the staircase and were nailed and glued in place as per instructions, but look most untidy and uneven. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get a flush fit? Can I sand off the protrusion, use lots of caulk... all sounds like it will end in a mess. How do I get a good finish?

Sponsored Links
Should be flush, did they use too much dense adhesive which would lift them too high.

Not glue, looking at an off cut of rail and spare fillets (that came precut so too small to plane) they are just 2mm deeper than the groove. The carpenter simply fitted what was provided. With hindsight I would ask the stair company for different fillet material, but too late now.

Same under hand rail but doesn't look so obvious. Can I do anything to make it look better on the base rail? Some kind of cutter fit in there?

Could have been planed by putting in an off-cut of rail and planed flush, a lot of work but less than you have been left with.
You might be able to get a detail sander in, though hours of work.
If the fillet are only pinned in remove and replace with correct size.
Might be enough room to get a bird plane in though ends would still need hand finishing.

Sponsored Links
If your going to paint it, I'd leave the fillets standing proud. Sanding , or planing them flat and you risk a paint line crack where the fillet meets the edge of the rails. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back