New window protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my new windows fitted in my bungalow renovation .
But with lots of work still to do Im looking for someway of covering the windows and the frames with some thing better than the tape they came in from any accidents as there is still lots of work to be done....eg internal plastering and external wet dash .
I don't mind completely blacking the windows out with boards etc just looking for any other ideas....Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on how much protection you want - look on ebay for window protection film, and see if that's adequate enough.

It depends on how much protection you want - look on ebay for window protection film, and see if that's adequate enough.
Thanks for that Doggit, I was thinking more some type of boarding to protect from any knocks and bangs but the only thing i can think of is double sided tape and ply board....but the only problem is the ply will buckle under sunlight and rain and maybe pull off.......my biggest problem is i've got 6m x 2.3m bi fold doors to cover as well as all the other windows and doors

Pallet wrap will stop scuffs from things brushing by, and plaster splashes. If anything serious is going on you need 4mm ply and some 4x2 timbers 1/3rd from the top and bottom across the sheets, and then a couple of legs diagonally to the ground. I guess you would only fit these on the days the high risk work was going on?

Sponsored Links
Dont leave the original frame protective tape for too long (4-8 weeks max). It will become near impossible to remove and can stain the windows.
Same with anything that is going to stick to the windows really.

Now don't take this as a criticism, but I suspect you're being a bit overprotective. You can always double up the window protection film, but if you start adding ply etc, then there's just as much chance of damaging the windows in fitting them, or in taking them off, plus any support you do may well interfere with any outside work.

Thanks for your replies,
yes i'm being very over precautious as this installation has cost 12k and the last time I had windows fitted in my current home when the house was re dashed because there is flint in the dashing it chipped the new glass and left all the sills peppered as the lads never protected them...... I should have done something about it but the young lad who did it had just set up on his own and had a young family and lives in the same street.....suppose it was a lesson learned for him.

I have to agree maybe the ply idea , although good protection may also a bit of a hassle to work around ......Ive found this stuff
http://www.protection.co.uk/products/proplex-2mm-corrugated-twin-wall-plastic-board
which i think will be adequate for my needs and i can either tape it on or use some double sided tape.

I think that looks like a solution. Ask the suppliers for the best way to fix it on, and it should work out fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back