New Window To Fit in Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im in need of a window in my garage/workshop and currently in the thought process of getting one fitted. Question is, how easy is it to do. The garage wall is single brick so is it just a case of cutting out brick and fitting window or will a joist be required to take the upper load to which there is just a roof but in time we might be extending up to create further bedrooms ?Just looking to fit a very small toilet sized window, just for a bit of light and ventilation,

Sponsored Links
things youll have to keep in mind
i think you need double skin wall to extend up
you also need deep footings not shure how deep but its approching 2 foot

If there is a joist resting above where you need the window, then yes you will need a lintel on top of it. You may want to put one there anyway if you may extend later.

Apart from that, I second all that Big All has said. You will really need to get a structural engineer to confirm that your existing garage will support an upward build.
Woody

Sponsored Links
Only joist i can see are the garage roof joists which are on the apex of the garage wall and resting right at the top of the wall, The main joists run parallel with the length of the garage, Probably best to bang one in like you say as we do expect to build up, 5 other houses in the street have built up and all have strong foundations, house only 9 years old and apparently all footings were laid at same depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back