New Year's honours list

Richardp said:
kendor said:
It just points to the sort of society we live in where celebrities are high up on peoples list and the real workers/carers are forgotten or drift into obscurity, wonder how long before a contestant from big brother gets a gong?
its another part of this subservience that has got a grip on society, royalty and celebrity we have an insatiable appetite for it, its not dignified.

You talking about DiyNot with Its current revolutionary movement? :D :D

Sponsored Links
empip said:
Hey Maso, don't concern yourself ..... just remember the what caused your Sig: I was there and I agree with your sentiment.. I do not forget. I think Dave will know what I mean too. ( unless I have it all wrong ).
:D :D :D
Nice to see our photographic memory still working ;)

ninebob said:
It's true, I think you have to be a celebrity to get recognised these days.

My grandmother is a case in point... when she retired she started doing a few hours a week as a volunteer on the Red Cross tea-bar at Grantham hospital. Within about a year she was "promoted" to stock co-ordinator, which basically meant as well as her regular duties she drove to the cash and carry once a week to buy everything. As time went on she became "rota co-ordinator" as well, and out of her own pocket bought an electric typewriter to write up the rotas and send them to about 50 volunteers.

She is now chairman in charge of the tea bars for the entire of lincolnshire, and last year bought a £900 computer and asked me to teach her how to e-mail etc (which she took to like a duck to water, even at the age of 63!).

Her reward for this? £15 a week "expenses" for petrol and telephone calls. She's working at least as many hours as I do, some weeks more. In fact, she's the only unpaid manager within Lincolnshire Red Cross.

I just hope that when I reach her age, I'd be happy enough to put in that much effort, for that little recognition or thanks.

She needs to get in with the local councilors...or the masons

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:
She needs to get in with the local councilors...or the masons
Tut tut, perfect Joe will be after you, it's masona not masons :LOL:

Back