Newbie chimney condensation problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need some expert advise..

I bought a cottage last year and I noticed the chimney which goes up via the bedroom has alot of yellow condensation on it. This happen more often after it rain but some somes even if it hammered it down nothing would come in. Just above the bedroom in the loft there is no damp at all. I had a roofer come around and he said the roof and chimney are spot on. But he seem to think chimney needed some spot of ventalation because the condensation with in it.

He made an air vent at the top and for about 3 months over the wet christmas it was fine. Now its started up again. Ive called the roofer again and he came over and now he thinks i need a air brick lower down. He wants more money to do this.... Do you think hes right? Because i dont want to keep spending out. Or do I just take a brick out myself and put an air brick in??

Any help would be great

Cheers
Ross

Sponsored Links
If the chimney has been sealed up then it should be vented, one opening at low level and one near the top.

Easy enough to do it yourself, fit an air brick or knock a hole and use a vent cover.

Well I have been told when i bought the place the fireplace is fully working....but the one chimney spilts in to two upside down V in the loft. One had been chopped off and the other runs via the bed room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back