Newly skimmed room cracked at scrimmed joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had our lounge re-skimmed, walls and ceiling.

The ceiling is plasterboard from the 1950's, There were cracks showing at the board joints, so I added plasterboard screws along the joists, put 4" scrim tape and then greened it before it was skimmed. In a few places the cracks have still managed to re-appear within 10 days of plastering.

When the room was skimmed it was warm, and the next few days were also pretty warm. Could this alone be the cause?

And what's the best way to fix it? Do I need to rake out the cracks which are hairline, or can I just filler over them using drywall jointing compound and sand?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I raked out, and filled then sanded.

Nothing re-cracked, until last week when we were hit with a F12 storm, so lots of things moved a bit!

When re-skimming a ceiling, add loads of screws every time! My boards were all nailed originally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back