next door extension and footings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have an outbuilding that was the old outside toilet etc and this building was the same for the neighbour and it was one building with a dividing wall, giving us one half and the other half been the neighbours if this make sense. The neighbours knocked there side down and re built a new extension for utility room and toilet etc. The old dividing wall was taken down and there extension built. looking inside our old outhouse the back wall/ dividing wall is now the new extension of the next doors and when it was built this was all done to building regs footings all that buisness. Now my question is, when we do the same as next door can we use the back wall of there extension as part of our extension ie we only need to build 3 sides to ours. The builders when building theres put it right on the boundary as they said we could then use that wall to form part of ours and just tie our side walls into that one that has been built. Is this right and sorry for the long input but bit hard to explain.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
This seems like a typical Victorian terrace?

Anyway, you need to be very careful with using the neighbours wall as part of your extension, as there is potential in years to come or with some future owner that they will dispute or revoke the permission to use their wall

Get something in writing, or use the Party Wall Act to formalise the work to avoid problems in the future

Otherwise you need to build your own wall on your side of the boundary, and either cut their foundation, or design your own to work around/over theirs

Cheers woody,

They have said it is fine so as long as i get it in writing for future issues then it will be easier to use it i suppose. Would my builder just tie into their wall then and bild my footings against theirs.
Thanks Lee

Sponsored Links
Hi,
We have an outbuilding that was the old outside toilet etc and this building was the same for the neighbour and it was one building with a dividing wall, giving us one half and the other half been the neighbours if this make sense. The neighbours knocked there side down and re built a new extension for utility room and toilet etc. The old dividing wall was taken down and there extension built. looking inside our old outhouse the back wall/ dividing wall is now the new extension of the next doors and when it was built this was all done to building regs footings all that buisness. Now my question is, when we do the same as next door can we use the back wall of there extension as part of our extension ie we only need to build 3 sides to ours. The builders when building theres put it right on the boundary as they said we could then use that wall to form part of ours and just tie our side walls into that one that has been built. Is this right and sorry for the long input but bit hard to explain.
Thanks Lee

The original wall between outhouses was probably a party wall. If so, the neighbour should have provided a party wall notice before knocking it down.

If the new wall has been built astride the boundary, I imagine it will de facto also be a party wall, though take advice on that from someone with more legal knowledge than I have. Ironically that would mean that if you do works to it, you ought to submit a party wall notice before doing so.

However, if the neighbour is happy for you just to go ahead and build on to it, that's what I would do.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back