NHBC settlement on leaking bay roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone could give advice on whether the below settlement seems fair. The original builders have refused to take the job and NHBC have recommended we accept their settlement and hire builders ourselves.

This is their summary of the work that needs doing:

The works comprise replacement of cavity tray and flashing above the rear bay
flat roof abutment with the main house wall, water test bay roof to eliminate
damage to roof with an allowance included for recoating / repairing the GRP bay
roof, together with internal decorative repairs to ceiling within the bay recess

Links to images:
(Sorry, tried to attach them but it didn't work.)

They've offered just under £2,000. Unfortunately, I'm pretty clueless on how much this will cost and they're asking for a decision soon. I've asked for quotes on mybuilder, but was wondering if anyone could give an opinion on whether it seems like a fair settlement? We're in Chesterfield, near Sheffield if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
When we claimed with the NHBC around 2014 they sent out their surveyor who acknowledged the fault and provided an assessment report.
They organised for one of their roofing contractors to contact me and sort the repair. It turned out our adjoining neighbour had the same issue so they were able to make a claim and both houses were fixed.

My preference would be for them to deal with it in this fashion as it will take time for you to contact around companies and obtain the best price etc. They of course won’t factor in your time etc.

If you are inclined to accept the money I would certainly ask who their preferred roofers are and quickly contact them for a quote. Don’t mess around with my builder as you want someone reputable

Sponsored Links
Back