Water not running off new GRP bay roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a second opinion a new GRP bay roof we've had installed. We live in a 1938 semi which had the original lead on the front bay and previously had a plug hole for water to drain out of into the gutter.

Because of the original design the roof had no natural pitch for water to run off the edge but rather water went towards the middle of the roof. Because of this I requested in writing "Ensure appropriate pitch to avoid standing water (water will run off into gutter)" which the contractor I employed translated to "Tilt fillet will be in installed upon the existing rafters allowing an appropriate fall".

The contractor has installed the new GRP roof but water is not draining off the majority of the roof and is rather running towards the wall of the house as you can see from this picture

The water was over 20mm deep where I can reach it from the ladder and I'd estimate at least 30mm deep in places. The bay is approximately 2.5m wide at the wall and I'd estimate around 10 litres of water was standing there when I tool the picture.

Obviously the contractor has not done what I asked him to do or what he invoiced me for but he's saying the roof is in good condition, the amount of water is small and since the roof has the 20 year Cure It guarentee I do not need to be worried.

I'd like to know what are the potential downsides for this amount water and given the builders reluctance whether it is worth pursuing the matter.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more concerned he's been tight with the Gel coat, you can see the fibres quite easily. And the detail to the wall looks ****e as well.

Follow Xenon's comment I got more concerned and actually phoned up the manufacturer. I was very please to get a response. Apparently the join along the wall is bad but the gelcoat is thick enough:

... the wall detail does not look to be resolved correctly. It should be terminated with a fillet trim and wall flashing which is not present in this case. ... There is no problem with the gelcoat, it is an aesthetic coating only and does not affect the performance of the roof, it is the laminate that provides the protection. We would recommend that the fibres in the laminate are still visible after topcoating as it is not a reinforced layer and will tend to result in surface cracking (which is an aesthetic affect only) if applied too thickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back