Nice clean Mobile Phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't really feel that this fits in any of the other topics so thought i'd post on here and see if if gets moved elsewhere! My missus was washing the car yesterday when she obviously felt that her Blackberry mobile phone was a bit dirty and would benefit from 10mins in a bucket of water. Needless to say, it didn't like it much, but does anyone know, once its dried out, is it likely to work again or will the water have fried it?? Just wondered if anyone has any experience or technical knowledge which can help us decide whether to leave it to dry or to get on to the insurance company. Could do without the £50 excess!!!

Sponsored Links
Dropped mine in the bath stripped it all down left if for a few days and it all worked ok.
One i dropped in the trough in the pub never did again, and even worse i was that pished i put my hand in to retrieve it. :confused:

Namsag - Trough?? What was in it?? Could it be that dropping it in clean/soapy water maybe isn't as bad as dropping it in some other kind of liquid???

There is an outside Chance that if you put in in meths it may survive, take the battery out and submerge the phone in meths (don't drink any!) then dry it out, most will just evaporate,make sure its dried out, and it might work, it'll stink of meths tho

Sponsored Links
Yep it was the nearly full pish trough . It was when i suddenly got the flash back the next day my stomach heaved . :oops:

I’ve heard of putting it in a sealed container with some rice and the rice absorbs the moisture and dries it out.

try it and see. the main problem is usually that of corosion. obvoulsly having SMT (really small electronics to you and me) they will not take much to corrode.

You didn't try to switch it on after it's immersion, did you? I was told (after the fact) to not switch it on, dismantle it (cover, battery, etc) and put it in the likes of the airing cupboard to dry out.

My brother dropped his N80 in the bath and it worked for ages afterwards - till I dropped it and the backlight died - the phone still works - just can't see a bloody thing on it!

Nah, didn't switch it on after the event but obviously it was on when it went in. I took the sim card, memory card and battery out, took a couple of screws out so i could prise open the case a bit to let air circulate then opened a window front and back of the house to create a draft and left it in the window bottom (in the shade). When it went dark i moved it to about 6inches above the radiator. First tried it Monday morning and the speaker just made some funny noises, left it til last night and now the power light comes on but thats all, gonna give it a bit longer near the rad and see what happens!!

Sponsored Links
Back