Potterton Puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm new to the forum and would love it if someone could help.

I have a policy with Domestic & General that covers my boiler - Potterton Puma 80 (installed 12 years ago). Recently it has started losing pressure when the heating is off and gaining in pressure when the heating is on, so I put in a call to D&G to get someone out to it. It is ALWAYS the same company that they send. I don't like this company, whoever it is that answers the phone is bolshie and rude and I dread having to phone them.

So anyway, I put a call in to the company D&G use, Tuesday 5th Feb is arranged for the visit. Plumber comes says it's your "Internal Expansion Vessel" that's gone - no longer covered by policy as they have decided that the problem is caused by sludge in the system. He shows hubby where on policy this is listed. Plumber then says I totally disagree that sludge causes this so will take a sample of water and get Service Manager at work to test it and let you know. Hubby told me water was clear, absolutely no evidence of sludge! Plumber says part is about £50 to buy, but cost comes in labour charges as the boiler has to be taken off the wall.

No-one EVER calls us back from this company, so hubby called yesterday. Service Manager says "not had chance to test it yet, but in my 25 years of experience, it is always sludge that causes this problem and I will say this in my report to the insurance company". "I'll call your wife tomorrow and let you know". Tomorrow came and went with no phone call. So this morning I rang him. "Only found rust deposits in the water, but as I said to your husband yesterday, it's sludge that causes it and that's what I'm telling the insurance".

Insurance company have said we can get a second opinion, which I'm in the process of doing, but I'm gobsmacked.

Apparently the clause for no coverage due to sludge/blockage is a recent addition that insurance companies have added as this seems to be a common fault in boilers. At no time has this new clause been pointed out. I've just paid my money year on year safe in the knowledge my boiler is covered!!!

Do we have a leg to stand on that it is only rust in the system and NOT sludge? Have any of you come across this problem in the past? Any ideas how much this will cost for us to replace?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Trace

Sponsored Links
Which heating company do D&G send to Blackpool?

Hi

I'm not in Blackpool, it was nearest town on the list, and to be honest, I'd rather not name them.

Sorry.

Trace

Sponsored Links
Let's focus on the fault!

Loss of pressure control is most often due to a problem with an expansion vessel. There are three main faults:
- the EV itself no longer works because the internal diaphragm has a hole in it and the whole volume is full of water,
-the EV no longer works because it has lost its 'preload' pressure (this should have been checked and if necessary pumped up by any competent engineer),
- the flexible pipe connecting the EV to the rest of the boiler is blocked so the EV is perfectly OK but no water can flow into it.

Only the last of these can be blamed on 'sludge in the system'. Anyway, the blockage is very common even in 'slightly sludgy' systems and can also be easily fixed by a competent engineer.

Let's focus on the fault!

Loss of pressure control is most often due to a problem with an expansion vessel. There are three main faults:
- the EV itself no longer works because the internal diaphragm has a hole in it and the whole volume is full of water,
-the EV no longer works because it has lost its 'preload' pressure (this should have been checked and if necessary pumped up by any competent engineer),
- the flexible pipe connecting the EV to the rest of the boiler is blocked so the EV is perfectly OK but no water can flow into it.

Only the last of these can be blamed on 'sludge in the system'. Anyway, the blockage is very common even in 'slightly sludgy' systems and can also be easily fixed by a competent engineer.

Fault number one is what the plumber said it was, he was the one who said it wouldn't be sludge, it's his "boss" that has decided it is.

Any ideas where we go from here? I really do not know what to do for the best.

Thanks for replying btw.

Trace

Stop wasting your time with insurance companies....they are all a con and rely on the customers not understanding the implications of the small print; in fact some policies are so bad they allow the insurance company to get out of the majority of faults. Unless you are very savvy (and can work them to your advantage) thay are more trouble than they're worth.

Put the money in a seperate "boiler" account ready for breakdowns.

Plumb in an additional expansion vessel elsewhere on the system. Often a cupboard below can accomodate the vessel or a rectangular one will sit on top of adjacent kitchen units. It's often easy to tee into the filling loop connections onto the return pipework. Vessel/bracket/hose/aav etc about £25.00. Its a simple job (don't even need to drain down) and labour normally less than an hour. Leave the boiler on the wall complete with the duff vessel.

Plumb in an additional expansion vessel elsewhere on the system. Often a cupboard below can accomodate the vessel or a rectangular one will sit on top of adjacent kitchen units. It's often easy to tee into the filling loop connections onto the return pipework. Vessel/bracket/hose/aav etc about £25.00. Its a simple job (don't even need to drain down) and labour normally less than an hour. Leave the boiler on the wall complete with the duff vessel.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Hubby has just told me this is something the plumber suggested. This sounds like the most viable option.

As for the insurance, I'm going to tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine, mainly 'cos I detest the company they use. We'll start saving a boiler fund, hopefully then we may be able to replace the whole thing at some point.

Once again thank you and everyone else that has tried to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back