Dripping Potterton Puma Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler, which has been dripping for a few weeks. British Gas came and said that the heat exchanger needed replacing, they ordered the part and came back to fit. On that visit the engineer replaced the heat exchanger (I think but didn't actually see), but said that the system was sludged up and I needed a new boiler. He said he would get it working but it will continue to leak!! He then arranged for a Sales person to come and give me a quote, which turned out to be for £2400.

I decided to get a second opinion and this plumber advised me to get BG back as sludging does not cause leaks, anyone have any advice on this?

BG are coming back again tomorrow (Mon 17th MArch)

Thanks

Anne
:(

Sponsored Links
The only part of a Puma which could be sludged up is the heat exchanger, and he's changed that. What would a new boiler achieve then?? :rolleyes:
ANd you're right, sludge doesn't cause leaks.

I've never yet had to scrap a puma. They do have a number of parts which fail, but none by itself kills the boiler.

BG have a reutation of blaming all the ills of any system on sludge, though that can be partly true, and saying you need a new boiler, which usually isn't.
BG cover doesn't include sludge.

There are 2 or 3 minor parts which cause leaks on pumas, none of them a big deal. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the air vent, poking out top left, which costs less than a fiver.

Common leaks points are:

As Chris says AAV top left

Flow thermister O ring just above the pump

Hot water flow switch

O ring in diverter..leaks out the small holes

Very occasionally the heat exchanger O rings

All relatively low cost parts and routine repairs.

I went to a Puma today which had almost all the possible faults!

Initial problem was fan seized! Lubed it.

Next, pump was not running on DHW. Assume its PCB fault! I have seen that before, anyone know what causes that?

Last, diverter was not shifting over after two hours. Will leave overnight and then consider blowlamp tomorrow.

The two tenants had an unusual scheme! One paid Council tax, other paid gas and electricity. Boiler has been off last six months as gas tenant was saving money having no DHW or CH !!!

Tony

Sponsored Links
The only part of a Puma which could be sludged up is the heat exchanger, and he's changed that. What would a new boiler achieve then?? :rolleyes:
ANd you're right, sludge doesn't cause leaks.

I've never yet had to scrap a puma. They do have a number of parts which fail, but none by itself kills the boiler.

BG have a reutation of blaming all the ills of any system on sludge, though that can be partly true, and saying you need a new boiler, which usually isn't.
BG cover doesn't include sludge.

There are 2 or 3 minor parts which cause leaks on pumas, none of them a big deal. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the air vent, poking out top left, which costs less than a fiver.

Thanks for this, BG engineer came yesterday and low and behold the previous engineer hadn't replaced the heat exchanger as he said he would as they cost £600 and this is what's leaking, obviously saw pound signs for a new boiler flash before his eyes, new part being orderd and hopefully they will change it and all will be well again, fingers crossed,-Anne

BG engineer gets a commission of about £30 if you sign up to a new boiler from BG.

Tony

BG engineer gets a commission of about £30 if you sign up to a new boiler from BG.

Tony

That explains the reluctance to change the part, sorry, he'll have to fund his own Easter Eggs this year..lol

Hi,

I have a Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler, which has been dripping for a few weeks. British Gas came and said that the heat exchanger needed replacing, they ordered the part and came back to fit. On that visit the engineer replaced the heat exchanger (I think but didn't actually see), but said that the system was sludged up and I needed a new boiler. He said he would get it working but it will continue to leak!! He then arranged for a Sales person to come and give me a quote, which turned out to be for £2400.

I decided to get a second opinion and this plumber advised me to get BG back as sludging does not cause leaks, anyone have any advice on this?

BG are coming back again tomorrow (Mon 17th MArch)

Thanks

Anne
:(

After many visits from BG they have replaced the Heat Exchanger and surprise surprise all leaks have stopped!

Only now the pilot light keeps going out when then heating is running!!! any ideas?

Why don't cogi get involved,if i did this i would be jumped on by corgi or on rouge traders..
YES corgi scared of bg will they be on wachdog soon?

now the pilot light keeps going out when then heating is running!!! any ideas?
First thing to check is that the hot water flow switch is going OFF properly - there's a red light on the pcb. Do a search - plenty of threads on this one.

Or your pump could be dead - how soon does the pilot go out?

etc
etc!

First thing to check is that the hot water flow switch is going OFF properly - there's a red light on the pcb. Do a search - plenty of threads on this one.

etc
etc!

It varies, could run for an hour or sometimes two, have run BG again to come and check it out yet again!

etc
etc!

It varies, could run for an hour or sometimes two, have run BG again to come and check it out yet again!

BG have been again and have said that it is an airlock in the system that is causing the pilot light to go out! They have taken a sample of the water to analyse and said that a powerflush should cure it (surprise, surprise)
The engineer said that when the heat exchanger was replaced the air should have been removed, but they can't always remove all of it! Am I being stupid here but surely a powerflush is to get rid of the gunk not the air!! help BG are driving me mad!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back