Nissan navara revs problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. A 58 reg Nivara diesel auto.
Every so often I get the revs going wild and no gear selection then all of a sudden kicks in gear and jerks forward. also does this when I Coe to stop at lights or a roundabout.
If I stop and put in reverse it revs without going into gear for a bout five seconds then kicks in with a jump.
Also on acceleration sometimes revs upto 4k changes gear and sits at 3k with no acc at all just it's there. Until I take foot off pedal and then down again , then it accelerates as normal.

Been in dealers four times. They sy can't ind a problem and no error codes.
It's just had a new DPF but was like this before and still is now.
Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Hi
this could well need a software reprogramme , but if you had in at a Nissan dealer , I would of thought they would of seen this.
Does it do it when in park or neutral ?
Could have water ingress into a wiring? some of these have been know to leak into the throttle pedal connector , check these first .
could also let it idle on own for 10 mins as the ecu can then reset the idle
may be worth looking round a good local Nissan independent , maybe someone on here can recommend someone ?

They reprogrammed the ECU the first time and it made no difference.
It doesn't do it in cruise control but then again it's difficult to try in cruise control at low speed. It does happen between 20-30mph. I have. Tried it with o/d on but as its intermittent its hard to say
I have sat with it idling for ages and no difference.
It did have A leak on gearbox which they found and fixed & topped up oil in it.
That made little difference.
It feels that even when it doesnt happen that there is no torque and the. The problem occurs. If there is a feeling of torque then it won't. Engine has a tappety sound when it's doing it. Very frustrated :)

Sponsored Links
They also said after the DPF was done that it came up with pressure sensor fault. Also they once had a code come up for throttle position sensor. ?? But Nissan told them it wouldn't be the throttle sensor.

Well the throttle position sensor wont make the engine change sound? But it might be worth cleaning it (inside) with carburetor cleaner. Not as a fix but to see if things change. Nissan will not do this for you

Loosing torque just before it happens, sounds as though the engine might be derating itself because of another fault.
If you drive through the 20-30mph band what way does the jeep drive?

EDIT 1:
The DPF needs to be burned clean every now and then and although they changed it, my guess is it still isn't doing the burn off. That's why its derating the engine (or limp mode)
http://www.nissan-navara.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6737

Go back and ask them to check the burn cycle for the DPF, or take it somewhere else.

Above 40. It is fine as long as it doesn't stick at 3k revs. On motorway it drives well. Normally 80 mph at 2500revs but again on occasions it will accelerate poorly and stay at 3500 revs doing 80 and won't drop until you ease off and gently increase speed back to 80.

They claim to have cleaned the throttle sensor and it made no difference and had same prob as I drove out of the dealers.

When I drive the technician around it never ever does it. And I've taken him out in it three times.

See the Edit, on the last post, would that sound feasible?

The dpf light came on and went into shutdown. Slower than limp mode. Last week when doin 80 on the motorway. got towed back to dealer. They tried to force a regeneration of the dpf but it wouldn't clear hence a brand new one installed last Friday @£1200. :(

It sounds as though the jeep still thinks it didn't get a clean, even though the filter was changed. But I could be completely wrong.

The dealer couldnt say that it was the original problem when the dpf went. And once fixed they wouldn't promise the problem would be solved.
It can't bethe only Navarro with this problem. Like the thread linked above. They tried Telling me that it how they drive. Bu it never did it the first four months I had it. I might take it elsewhere this time as the dealer is just fobbing me off every time. Is it a specific Nissan machine needed or just more knowledge from the garage to sort this out.

Good local back street operation, give them time and hopefully they will find something.

Pity its not putting up any fault codes, to work from. Worth getting it checked by someone else

After a few hours of googling and reading found this forum that showed how to to do full reset of fuel pump and ecu. Did it this morning and it took less than a minute.

All I can say is. Wow. I now get average 28 mpg instead of 22.8mpg no rattling noise. Good response off accel pedal.

Time will tell if this works. But for now all seems good.

Can you share a link to that helpful forum/site, on how to do the reset, please?

Sponsored Links
Back