No display on programming unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with the central heating system. It's been on pretty much full time with the recent cold weather but on xmas day, there was a bit of a bang and the Drayton Tempus 6 programming unit display started to fade. The Kelston Celsius 25 boiler also lost power and the lights on the front all went out. I changed the fuse and the power returned to the boiler but when i turned it on from standby, the green light flashes slowly (which according to the manual means "External Controls not calling for heat" but nothing is showing on the programming unit.

I have a few of questions...
1a) do you think just changing the programming unit is worth trying (£50ish must be cheaper than calling someone out)?
1b) is it easy to do?
2) Is it possible to override the programming unit? if not...
3) luckily we have an immersion tank in the airing cupboard, so we still have hot water. Can you run the central heating from this in the short term?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
1a. It certainly sounds dead, although it might be a connection that has blown.
1b. Pretty easy if you know what you're doing.
2. It certainly is, but if you don't know how then I'd suggest you shouldn't do it. Remember the control unit is just a glorified switch.
3. No.

You might also want to consider why the fuse blew in the first place. Usually they don't do this for fun and there could be a problem with the boiler itself. Just running the boiler continuously shouldn't blow the fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back