No door hinge the right size!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All,

I am trying to find a hinge which is 5" by 2" (128mm X 51mm) but cannot find them anywhere . The house itself is about 100 years old but the section room that needs the new hinges is about 50 years old.

The fitting for the hinge is already in the door frame so i ideally need an exact fit. Any recommendations as to where is can find this size hinge or alternative solutions greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say the "fitting" in the door frame, do you mean a 5" by 2" rebate has been cut into the wood of the frame? If so and you end up unable to find hinges of the right size, there is another thing you can do. Use 4" hinges (which are common I believe) and fill the remaining inch with a small carved piece of wood glued in position. Painted over it will be difficult if not impossible to notice.

I recently wanted to turn round a couple of doors, i.e. open the other way. This meant filling two rebates in the frame that would now be on the non-hinge side. I cut pieces of wood and shaved them until they were a very good fit. Glued in and painted over, it is possible to see them but really only if you know where to look.

Your pieces of wood will be even smaller and on the hinge side, so not in such as easily seen position anyway.

Hi Robert,

Yeah I have spent more time looking and cant find the right size so i will use the smaller hinge and fill in whatever is left. Once painted it will not be noticeable.

Thanks for the help.

Franco

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back