Internal door hinge problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help me please
I have fitted an internal panelled door into an old frame which is badly out of square. The top hinge I have fitted has gone on ok but on the bottom hinge the screws are spinning. I have redrilled and tried plugs but that hasn't worked. I have moved the hinge upwards but have the same problem. I have searched on the net for an answer but the only results I find are about the doorframe side of the hinge filling with dowels etc.
I have obviously had to take too much off the door but have managed to recess the hinge flap ok but cannot work out if I will be able to do anything else or is it beyond repair.

Sponsored Links
If you are drilling pilot holes for the screws, maybe they are too big?
Otherwise plug any holes with a timber plug, glued in with PVA glue and leave it to set.
You should get away with short screws then, but don't use a gauge thats too big. Add another hinge in the middle of the door to ease the load.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back