replacement doors, different hinge positions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have plain double doors between my lounge and dining room in a fifties chalet bungalow. I've acquired a pair of doors with glass panels from an identical house opposite of similar vintage to my doors (ie, probably original) that I wish to use instead. However the hinge positions are different by about an inch. Is it better to modify the hinge recesses on the replacement doors to fit the hinge positions on my doorframe or to modify the hinge recesses on my doorframe to match the hinge positions on the replacement doors? (I've established that the new screw holes which ever way I go will lie neatly in the space between the original holes.)

Sponsored Links
Either. Whatever is easier for you to work on and blend a splice in so its not noticeable.

i'd leave the position of the hinges on the door and patch up the posts

Sponsored Links
To my mind, look at which one will patch up easiest. If you reposition the hinges on the door, can you repaint them successfully, or would it be better to fill and repaint the door jamb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back