Hinge Bound?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to replace an internal door in an existing recess. Basically, I'm hanging it on the opposite side so I've cut out for new hinges etc.

The door keeps "bouncing". Initially I thought it was the door stop, so I've ripped that off and given myself even more decorating to do!

Then I thought it might be the screw heads.. basically the screws supplied with the hinges were rubbish- even with a pilot drill and the correct size screwdriver, the heads were mashing up. (very shallow phillips slot)

So... I used some screws which had a chunkier head. Therefore I had to recess the hinge more so the screws didn't bang on one another!

Have searched the forum and found a similar problem- some of the advice given was to get the hinge in the "correct" position. Should the metal of the hinge be flush with the frame and door edges? (I can pack these) If this is the case, what do you recommend I do regarding the screws?

Sponsored Links
You need screws which don't protrude above hinges which should be flush as you questioned.

Ok, everyone can laugh at me now, but hopefully posting the solution might help someone...

The hinges were fine, the screws were fine... it was bouncing off of the hall carpet (the side it closes to) so I couldnt see it happening from in the room!

Cost me £15 for the new door stop (it was a special size) and about a day delay in the project!

:oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
You never thought of looking at the other side?

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I could see the other side, but because I hadn't fitted the handle, I couldn't pull it close. It was only when I peeled the carpet back, to close the door by putting my fingers underneath, that I found it closed perfectly freely!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back