What type of door hinge for my garage side door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a cheap garage side door.

I was just about to chisel the door to fit butt hinges when due to my naivety I realised it can't be done because half of the door in thickness is hardwood plywood and even if I could it will be fruitless putting the screws in.

Instead I'm assuming the best option is to use tee hinges, however, this leaves a security issue because I want to open the door outwards and I can only screw the tee hinges into the 22mm thick door frame, unless I carefully drill 110mm holes right through the frame so that I can put bolts through! Putting bolts through the door isn't an issue of course.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way but is there a type of tee hinge that sits at a 90 degree angle into the door frame just like a butt hinge and the other part just goes across the outside of the door as per usual? Will all tee hinges do this anyway?

The picture in my head is seeing the countersunk screw holes on the door frame hinge on the opposite side of the door's, if that makes sense.

Thanks and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
You could try some sort of security screws, but heavy duty garage door hinges take 4 screws each which with the weight of the doors and position of the garage facing - presumably - the highway, would make attempts at their removal fairly obvious.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back