Making a door fit, help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very new to DIY, any suggestiions welcome. I'm attempting to replace a door and not having much success. I've fitted 2 new 100mm hinges to the door, chiselled flush. The other side of the hinge is fitted into a recess where the old hinges sat flush to the frame. There is too much of a gap at the top hinge between door and frame. Both sides of the frame seem straight, checked with spirit level. I read that driving a 3 inch screw through the frame to the stud can cure a sagging hinge. Did that, no difference. I then chiselled another bit out of the door where the top hinge sits, so now it's about 1mm inside the door instead of flush. This has moved the door closer to the frame. Before I go chopping again, is there a better way of moving the door? Should I rebate the top hinge some more on the frame too? Would moving the hinge further into the door edge make a difference?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If you move hinge deeper it may bind and door will spring open, what to you call too large a gap?

It's a couple of millimeters difference at the top hinge compared to the
bottom but both would have a gap 6-8mm when closed. So the door slopes enough to be rubbing frame at the handle side. I am hoping to get away without planing the door and it does fit when held up to the frame without hinges. The barrel of the hinge seems too thick and is taking up space the door could be using. Door is 40mm thick. Am I using too big of a hinge? It is not a heavy door, but I bought the same size hinge as was on the frame previously.

Sponsored Links
Barrel of hinge sits outside the door and frame. Maybe you have set in hinges?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back