New door wont shut (not jamming against sides)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have just (tried to) fit a new door into an existing door frame.
That frame didn't have a door in it for ages so i couldn't just measure the old door.
I measured ,cut, and planed the door so that it fitted in the frame.
I cut out the hinge area to match the ones in the frame and fitted the hinges.
so far so good.
But when i went to close the door. It moves fine until the last few inches and seems to catch on the hinge side.
I will close if yo force it but it is trying to pull the hinges out of the door frame.
the door is about 3mm thicker than the door frame (I guess that is the root of the problem)

Things i have tried are:
Moving the hinges out from the door frame
recessing the hinge more into the door frame (removing the spacer between the frame and the hinge)
putting some cardboard between the hinge and the door.

Nothing fixes the problem.

I am at a real loss on this.

Anyone have some magical methods to fix this?

Good job my first door was the living room door and not the loo as planned!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
To me sounds like there isn't enough of a gap on the hinge side. Recessing the hinges further would make it worse, bringing them further out might help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies
That sounds like a good idea - when i fitted the door in the frame (with the hinges fitted to the frame to measure up) there was a large gap between the door and the hinge.
That said i put some wood between the frame and the hinge that meant the hinge was slightly proud of the frame and that didn't help.
So I presume that the hinge must be flush
I am just in the process of putting in some cardboard between the frame and the hinge, and if that doesnt work maybe add some cardboard between the door and the hinge as well?

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back