Door - existing hinge position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hanging a door this weekend. A rather heavy exterior front door (as you may have seen from my previous post). Ideally I would like to keep the existing hinge position and not replace the frame for obvious reasons! Assuming I can align it, is this an acceptable thing to do? i.e re-use exisitng screw holes or will they be too far 'gone'.

Alternatively I can move the location of the hinge further down the door frame although I guess this will put them further down the frame than is ideal (hope this makes sense!).

Cheers

Sponsored Links
loki - use the old positions, drill out the old screw holes if they're too far gone, fill with glued wooden dowels. If the holes aren't too bad, again fill with glued wood slithers (the old matchstick trick) and longer screws. If you move the hinge position then you'll have to fill the old ones, and the only acceptable way of doing that is to 'let in' glued timber stips; this method can also be used when using the original positions which might be damaged. Tip ... if you use timber strips make them proud so when the glue has dried you can plane/pare/sand them level for an invisible repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back