No earth on ring main ?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced a couple of 3 pin sockets on a 1970's ex-council house in Scotland. There were only live and neutral wires - are the socket boxes earthed behind the plasterboard and how common is this - I've never seen it before ? Can I reliably test for earth by putting an ohm-meter from an earth pin to a water tap ?

Thanks, Peter

Sponsored Links
In many houses of this age, the wiring is run in steel conduit and this provides the earth. Have a look at where the wires enter the box, you may see a brass collar and just two wires (red and black) with no outer covering. Thats a fair bet that you have conduit.

To test if it is earthed, TURN ALL OF THE POWER OFF.
Then, using a long lead. test from the back box to the earth terminal at the fuseboard, not a water tap. The tap may not be earthed, or may be supplied by plastic pipe!

It sounds like you probably have a steel conduit installation, with the conduit supplying the earth. This was a fairly common installation style for 70s council houses.

It would be a good idea to take an earth fault loop impedence test at each socket to prove the earth, as corrosion or a loose bush can lead to a failed earth. (A seperate earth wire is run in the conduit these days to prevent this happening)

It would also be a good idea to fit a link from the back box to the socket front, as you are currently relying on the socket screws for your earth.

Sponsored Links
.. for the rapid response. Now go & enjoy 'hogmanay' !!

All the best for 2008.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back