no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps

Am decorating our dining room which is an extention to the existing house. We have only lived here for 18 months and the extention is about 10 years old.

The sparkey (and I use the term looseley) who wired up the extention has extended a radial circuit which is on a 32A breaker and only has one double socket and the boiler on it in the original part of the house.

This then powers two single 13A sockets and the lighting for the extention using 2.5mm T&E. The radial has then been extended out using 6mm T&E to a CU in the garage to provide power for one 13A socket and two lights in the garage. It is not fused using a FCU before it leaves the house, which I plan to change.

My problem is that once in the extention there is no earth to any sockets or lighting.

I presume the only thing I can do to make this safe is to run new T&E cable and reconnect to the orignal part of the house?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Sam

Sponsored Links
The sparkey (and I use the term looseley) who wired up the extention has extended a radial circuit which is on a 32A breaker and only has one double socket and the boiler on it in the original part of the house.

This then powers two single 13A sockets and the lighting for the extention using 2.5mm T&E. The radial has then been extended out using 6mm T&E to a CU in the garage to provide power for one 13A socket and two lights in the garage.
32A and 2.5mm² is an unsafe combination. What's the original part of the circuit wired in?

It is not fused using a FCU before it leaves the house, which I plan to change.
Why?

My problem is that once in the extention there is no earth to any sockets or lighting.
What did he do with the E in the T&E??

I presume the only thing I can do to make this safe is to run new T&E cable and reconnect to the orignal part of the house?
1) You need to sort out that 32A breaker problem.

2) I'm puzzled by the combination of T&E supplying sockets but no earth to them...

b-a-s
hi mate. why is 32A & 2.5mm T&E an unsafe combination. I understood that to be the combination for standard domestic circuits ?

For a ring circuit yes.

Don't tell me the guy extended the existing radial with a ring on the end?

Sponsored Links
For a ring circuit yes.

Don't tell me the guy extended the existing radial with a ring on the end?

A common problem found when adding to radials in the (dare I say it) spur from a spur from a spur scenario) rather than sticking to a 'main line' radial with one 'spur' per socket/JB along the route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back