no gas flow after turning stop valve off then back on???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

we have been away on holiday for 2 weeks and when we returned the house smeld funny (probably due to the house been shut up for 2 weeks) and i was gettin a headache (probably from the traveling) i couldn't work out what the smell was and as a precaution i turned the gas off at the meter till the morning.

when i turned the meter back on there was no gas flow???? (our boiler wouln't light and the cooker hob confirmed no gas!!

i went n looked at the meter again and turned it off and back on but still the same, on the regulator (if thats what it is) on top of the meter has 2 check screw valves on it, 1 check in and 1 check out with the gas turned on the gas the check in valve leaks gas when opened but the check out valve doesn't do anythin!!

before i turned the meter off the gas was workin fine as we had the boiler on for drying some holiday clothes so it hasn't siesed over the 2 weeks on holiday

who should i call to fix this is it manx gas (i live in isle of man) or is it a plumber job?

cheers hope you can help me

andy

Sponsored Links
system needs purging..sounds like you have a gas leak some where and the pipes have drained whilst youve been away or had it turned of.

go to the applaince furthest away from meter, if cooker turn on gas tap for around 3-5 secs but ventillate the room.
if gas fire then turn pilot on and hold control knob in so gas comes to pilot light this may take longer than the cooker and may take several attempts if done in ten sec intervals if you can smeel the gas from any of the applainces whilst purging then that is ok. be carefull though as it isnt without risk.

jsut coz there is no flame doesnt mean no gas!!!

after youve tried that and you are confident that their is no gas tehn you have a problem

Regulator broke, I think. Call 0800 111999. Free repair, from the mob who used to be Transco.
Unless it's coin or card meter and it didn't like being wobbled - very common. In any case phone the above and they'll tell you who else to phone!

Sponsored Links
Isle of man has 3 types of gas supplied from Manx gas , LPG, mains Natural and mains towns gas made from lpg.. Towns gas can be very poisonous which maybe where your headache and funny smell came from.. Get them out staight away to check your installation 08081624265

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back