No Heating Downstairs Following A British Gas Visit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BG came yesterday to fix a problem under our service contract.

The water in the hot water tank was scalding hot. They diagnosed it as a faulty valve and fitted 'zone valve,inners,actuator and cylinder stat'. It seems to have sorted the problem.

However, in the evening we found that none of the downstairs radiators had any heat. The upstairs all worked.Maybe my imagination but they seemed too hot and the pipework and pump around the hot water tank were scalding to touch.

Any ideas of what the problem is with the downstairs radiators and is it likely to be linked to the BG visit yesterday. Seems too much of a coincidence for it not to be linked?.

BG are coming back tomorrow morning and I'd like to have some idea when they arrive.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Scalding water - was there already a cylinder stat fitted? What temp is it set to? Set it to 55 degrees.

Do you have two heating zones, upstairs and downstairs? One or two room/hall stats?

Has the pump speed been turned down? Speed it up to pull heat away from the boiler.

There was a cylinder stat fitted, set to 55, but the replacement he did to the valve seems to have sorted that problem.

There is a downstairs temperature control on the wall.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by pump speed, or how to speed it up.

Appreciate your help.

dave, most domestic circulators have three speeds, selected from a rotating dial at one end near the power supply cable. Try it on max.

Don't see why downstairs rads are cool when upstairs are hot if they are on the same rad circuit controlled from the same motorised valve. Do they have thermostatic valves fitted? Is a downstairs rad cool at the top warmer at the bottom; do they need bleeding?

Turn off all upstairs rads; do downstarirs heat up? If so system needs balancing.

Sponsored Links
Ronald0,

Thank you very much for your second response---it's solved the problem.

I followed your first suggestion and went to the pump, only to find it wasn't turned on---the BG man had left it turned off!.

Turned it on and within a few minutes downstairs rads are warming up.

Again, many thanks for putting me on the right track.

Dave

Ronald0,

Thank you very much for your second response---it's solved the problem.

I followed your first suggestion and went to the pump, only to find it wasn't turned on---the BG man had left it turned off!.

Turned it on and within a few minutes downstairs rads are warming up.

Again, many thanks for putting me on the right track.

Dave

Thank you for the feedback, pleased to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back