No heating downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Hope you can help me with this one.

I have a 3 storey house and my boiler has its flow and return pipes going into the first floor. I recently had a few radiators changed which meant the system was drained and then re-filled via the header tank. When we filled the system again, the boiler would run for a few minutes and then stop. The flow pipe out of the boiler was very hot, but the return was cold.

I was told the problem was due to trapped air so to clear it we drained the system and then filled the system again by putting a mains feed at the boiler and filling it that way. This kindof solved the problem as the radiators in the first and second floor heated, but my ground floor didn't.

The flow and return pipes for my ground floor run down the side of one of the walls. I can access them and notice that the flow is hot, but the return isn't.

I have switched all the radiators off upstairs but this has made no difference. I also had a gate valve fitted on the hot water tank so that the water wouldn't easily flow that way - still no luck. If I close this valve fully, the hot water flows into the header tank.

We took off a few of the downstairs rads (the ones that were easy to remove) and put the mains water through the valves. We then switched on the heating (opened the gate valve at the hot water tank a bit in case it started flowing into the header again) and ran both valves until hot water arrived. We put the rads back on and they heated fine, but the one radiator we didn't remove (a large one) had hot water at the flow end pipe, but it didn't flow into the radiator. I then closed the gate valve at the hot water tank and hot water started flowing into the header tank again and the radiators downstars (except for one) are now cold.

A few questions:

1. What would be the next step? Take of all rads downstairs and ensure hot water reaches all pipes?

2. What speed should my pump sit at. I recently got a Wilko Gold-60 pump (was previously a 50) and it is sitting at 3.

Cheers guys and thanks for any assistance on this.

Gary

Sponsored Links
We took off a few of the downstairs rads (the ones that were easy to remove) and put the mains water through the valves. We then switched on the heating (opened the gate valve at the hot water tank a bit in case it started flowing into the header again) and ran both valves until hot water arrived. We put the rads back on and they heated fine, but the one radiator we didn't remove (a large one) had hot water at the flow end pipe, but it didn't flow into the radiator.
Sounds like you already have the answer.......

bathjobby said:
Sounds like you already have the answer.......

Thanks bathjobby, but would this explain why the hot water is running into the header tank if I close the gate valve at the HW tank?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back