No heating or hot water, No error msg, Protherm 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have no hot water or central heating from my combi boiler. There are no error messages or anything just no hot water. The display is illuminated as normal. The light changes on the control panel when i turn the hot water tap on so it knows it should be doing something....its just not firing up. What should i check first. Im sure its something simple that i am overlooking. The thermostat is set where it normally is.

Its a Protherm 80e combi boiler.

Thanks in advance, Matt

Sponsored Links
1st thing to check is the pressure gauge is on 1 bar,if not repressure system.

I wonder how you can be so sure that its only something simple?

We go to boilers with real faults and failed parts!

Tony

Agile said:
I wonder how you can be so sure that its only something simple?

We go to boilers with real faults and failed parts!

Tony

good for you, thanks for the help!!

This is a diy forum for advice.

The system is pressurised as it should be. 1 bar. I have checked the continuity of the circuit with the overheat thermostats. The air pressure switch seems to be functioning. Is there anything else i have over looked?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have checked those things then I am surprised that you have not checked that the pump is turning?

If it IS turning then I think you may have to revise your thoughts on it being "something simple"!

It might be something as complicated as the PCB.

Please note that I do not expect it to actually be the PCB as boilers are complex devices and there are many dynamic checks which a boiler engineer would do in front of the boiler.

Tony

Pump is running nicely.

Are there any checks with the ignition module that i can do? The continuity between pcb and ignition module is fine on all circuits. If i knew the pinouts and expected outputs i could test the pcb and ignition module.

The corgi engineer that i finally managed to get round my house scratched his head at the last fault that i ended up sorting and doesnt fill me with confidence at all.

To test the cvi unit take it off the gas valve call for demand set your multimeter to DC put your probes in the holes furthest apart you should get between 250 and 300 VDC

To step back a little is the fan running???

And what about the over heat stat hidden away on the left at the front ???

This is meant to be a DIY forum with checks limited to those a DIYer without CORGI registration can do with little knowledge or test equipment!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back