Protherm 80E Central Heating Won't Switch Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Protherm Combi boiler Protherm 80E which, until recently, worked perfectly. The Central Heating is on continuously now and I can'tt switch it off with either the timer switch, nor with the room thermostat. It just keeps coming on. At the moment I have to turn it off at the mains switch. The hot water works just fine. Can anyone help please. Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
It could be the ch thermistor has gone out of calibration, its used for frost protection and will bring on the boiler regardless of the settings.

I would say its more likely that the boiler still thinks thee is a DHW demand.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile, If there was a hot water demand then the radiators wouldnt heat up because the DHW demand takes priority...or am I wrong ? SUrely the boiler would fire up and heat the water then shut down??? I'm a bit confused....

Tim

The diverter valve could also be letting by. You can test this. Switch the boiler off so that the everything cools down. Switch back on and run the hot tap and leave it running. Check to see if the radiators are getting hot. As this may take a few minutes you could feel the CH flow pipe coming from the boiler. If this is hot then the diverter valve is letting by. If this is the case then it may well be that the boiler thinks there is hot water demand. If the flow pipe is cold then it most likely to be the thermistor that is to blame.

OK Guys, checked diverter, CH stays cold while the DHW is nice and hot. Changed the Thermistor for a new one. Still the same problem. Any other ideas??

Thanks

Tim

Agile, If there was a hot water demand then the radiators wouldnt heat up because the DHW demand takes priority...or am I wrong ? SUrely the boiler would fire up and heat the water then shut down??? I'm a bit confused....

Tim

Yes, you are wrong!

The heat goes to where the manifold section of the diverter valve sends it.

There will be a demand for hot water if the diverter valve pin is jammed out or if the microswitch is faulty. In either of these cases the temperature will be controlled by the hot water knob.

That is the most common cause of this problem.

Less common is a wrong demand for heat, often caused by timeclock faults.

Have you measured the resistance of the sensors?

See which knob controls the temperature of the uncalled for heating. That will identify which cause to investigate.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back